Greetings, watch enthusiasts! If you’re searching for a premium dive watch that has stood the test of time, look no further than the Rolex Submariner 1680. First introduced in the late 1960s, this iconic timepiece has remained a favorite among collectors and adventurers for over five decades. Whether you’re a seasoned watch connoisseur or just starting your collection, the Rolex Submariner 1680 is worth a closer look.
The History of the Rolex Submariner 1680 🕰️
Before diving into the details, let’s first take a quick trip through time. In 1953, Rolex introduced the first Submariner, a watch designed specifically for divers. Over the next decade, the watch evolved, becoming more durable and reliable. By the late 1960s, the Rolex Submariner 1680 hit the market, featuring a date function and the option for a red “Submariner” text on the dial.
While the Rolex Submariner 1680 has undergone a few design tweaks over the years, it remains largely unchanged to this day. Let’s dive deeper into the watch’s features and why it’s still such a highly sought-after timepiece.
The Features of the Rolex Submariner 1680 ⌚
There’s no denying that the Rolex Submariner 1680 is a stunning watch. But it’s not just a pretty face – this watch is packed with features that make it an excellent choice for divers and watch collectors alike.
Design and Materials 💎
|Materials||The Rolex Submariner 1680 boasts a stainless steel case and bracelet, scratch-resistant sapphire crystal, and a unidirectional rotating bezel.|
|Size||The watch has a 40mm case diameter, making it a medium-sized watch that will fit most wrists comfortably.|
|Dial and Bezel||The black dial and bezel feature white luminescent markings for easy legibility in low light conditions.|
|Water Resistance||The Rolex Submariner 1680 has a water resistance of up to 200 meters, or 660 feet, making it suitable for recreational diving.|
Movement and Accuracy ⏱️
Under the hood, the Rolex Submariner 1680 features a self-winding mechanical movement, certified by the Swiss Official Chronometer Testing Institute (COSC) for accuracy. The watch boasts a power reserve of up to 48 hours, meaning you won’t have to worry about winding it frequently.
In addition to telling time, the Rolex Submariner 1680 features a date function, with a magnifying cyclops lens for easy reading. The watch also has a unidirectional rotating bezel, which divers can use to keep track of elapsed time underwater.
The Pros and Cons of the Rolex Submariner 1680 👍👎
Like any watch, the Rolex Submariner 1680 has its advantages and disadvantages. Let’s break them down:
Advantages of the Rolex Submariner 1680 👍
1. Timeless Design: The Rolex Submariner 1680 has remained virtually unchanged for over 50 years, proving that good design never goes out of style.
2. Excellent Build Quality: Rolex is known for its top-notch materials and craftsmanship, and the Submariner 1680 is no exception.
3. Highly Accurate: Thanks to its certified chronometer movement, the Rolex Submariner 1680 is incredibly accurate.
4. Versatile: While designed for diving, the Rolex Submariner 1680 is also suitable for everyday wear, making it a practical choice for any watch lover.
Disadvantages of the Rolex Submariner 1680 👎
1. Price: As with many high-end watches, the Rolex Submariner 1680 comes with a hefty price tag.
2. Limited Availability: While the Submariner is still in production today, vintage models like the 1680 can be hard to come by.
3. No Hacking Second Hand: The Submariner 1680 doesn’t have a hacking second hand, meaning the second hand doesn’t stop when you pull out the crown to adjust the time.
Frequently Asked Questions 🔍
1. How much does the Rolex Submariner 1680 cost?
The cost of a Rolex Submariner 1680 can vary depending on the condition and rarity of the watch. On average, you can expect to pay anywhere from $15,000 to $20,000 for a vintage model.
2. Is the Rolex Submariner 1680 suitable for diving?
Absolutely! The Rolex Submariner 1680 has a water resistance of up to 200 meters, making it suitable for recreational diving.
3. Can the Rolex Submariner 1680 be worn every day?
Definitely. While the watch was designed for diving, it’s also versatile enough to be worn as an everyday watch.
4. How long does the power reserve last on the Rolex Submariner 1680?
The Rolex Submariner 1680 has a power reserve of up to 48 hours.
5. Does the Rolex Submariner 1680 come with a warranty?
While vintage models like the 1680 don’t come with a warranty, new models of the Submariner do come with a five-year warranty from Rolex.
6. Is the Rolex Submariner 1680 a good investment?
Yes! Vintage Rolex watches have a history of increasing in value over time, especially popular models like the Submariner 1680.
7. How can I authenticate a Rolex Submariner 1680?
The best way to authenticate a Rolex Submariner 1680 is to take it to an authorized Rolex dealer or professional watchmaker who is familiar with vintage Rolex watches.
Conclusion: Get Your Hands on a Rolex Submariner 1680 Today 🛍️
The Rolex Submariner 1680 is a true classic, with a timeless design and impressive features that make it a top choice for divers and collectors alike. While it comes with a high price tag, it’s a wise investment that is sure to hold its value over time. If you’ve been considering adding a Rolex Submariner 1680 to your collection, now is the time to take the plunge!
The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as financial or investment advice. Always do your own due diligence before investing in any product or service.